- dwellings on recreational properties
Does not apply to Rental properties
Starting February 1, 2014 all new building permit applications must have warranty to cover;
- one year labour and materials;
- two years for defects in labour and materials related to delivery and distribution systems;
- five years building envelope protection, with a requirement for option to purchase additional 2 years of coverage;
- 10 years coverage for major structural components.
This will apply to all single and multifamily homes, except rentals
If you are building a home for yourself, you don't require mandatory warranty but;
- You must sign an affidavit that you intend to live in the home for 10 years, or purchase insurance coverage.
- Will be limited to apply for a building permit only every 3 years in the event you have to sell the property.
For more information:
Alberta New Home Buyer Protection Act
came into force
February 1, 2014
- Building Envelope Reviews and design details.
Copyright Qualistat 2009-2018